Helping kids strive towards “ their personal best”.
My name is Dana Ulsamer- Harrison and I have been the school counselor at Osceola since ’97. I am a Certified School Counselor who is honored to work with your children. I am a team player, working with parents and staff, to help each child find success in their world through positive attitudes, growth mindsets, healthy choices, and character development.
What does the guidance counselor do?
- Sees individual students in distress or in crisis, with follow-up as needed
- Conducts guidance groups and “lunch bunches” for children with particular needs (social skills, anger, family changes..)
- Teaches monthly k-5 class guidance lessons on life skills, our district character counts initiative, and various topics including topics such as bullying, understanding feelings, and social skills.
- Serves as a liaison between the school and outside agencies to best assist our families. We now have a free clothing closet for our school families and links to other resources for those difficult times.
- Serves as a resource to teachers, staff, and PARENTS/GUARDIANS! I am here as a resource to you. If you have concerns about your child, please call me at 547-3787. I will gladly meet with you, your child, or to sit in on parent-teacher conferences to best help your child succeed.
- School Coordinator for: ESOL services (English Language Learners), 504 plans for disabled students, Mentor Services for our students, Social Services for Needy Families.
- Member of: Character Counts Committee, RTI Team (Response to Intervention), a CPI Team (Crisis Prevention Institute), and FSCA (Florida School Counseling Association)
- www.familyeducation.com Learning Networks parent channel, where parents help each other in dealing with the many challenges of parenting.
- http://kidshealth.org Nemours Foundations site with up-to-date info on children’s health and emotional concerns.
CareConnect-24/7 Crisis Support Line Text: CARE4U to 741741 (confidential crisis support by text) https://www.stjohnscareconnect.com/
United Way of St. Johns County: call “211” to help you with home resources and local services that are here to assist our families in need.
Gifted Parent Advisory Meetings
Meeting information for the 2019-20 school year coming soon:
Open to all parents of gifted students at any level (K-12) to express concerns, ask questions, etc. The District contact for the Gifted Program is Helen DiMare. (904) 547-7692.